Thursday 22 January 2015


WEEK TWO OF MY CRAFT YEAR CHALLENGE  -  GLASS/CERAMIC BIRD FEEDER

Well obviously now that I am a master at drilling holes into glass things, my mind began to wander what other things I could make with my new found skill.  A quick look on the internet and I found these lovely bird feeders made from old tea cups that would compliment my lovely glass flower that I made last week.





I liked the idea of the upside down tea cup with the fat ball hanging from it, so hubby and I visited a local vintage store to find a tea cup trio as I wanted to put a plate on top to protect the feed from the rain.

I drilled holes in all three, grabbed my garden twine and this was my first attempt at a china bird feeder.



It was okay, but it wasn't inspiring me as much as some of the others I had seen online, so I went back to the drawing board to redesign it.  I was inspired by the first picture to have an 'umberella' to protect the feed and also to use cake stand fixings to seperate it all.  I just happened to have redundant cake stand fittings and a nice glass plate already drilled, and this was my second attempt and I like this one much better.  It has a little hook in the cup to hang a fat ball from, the saucer will hold seed and I can't wait to see it in use.








No comments: